Thursday, August 11, 2005

Programming: Coding Is Like Poetry

I've always enjoyed poetry, and as a programmer, I've often noted the similarities between them. Today I noticed an interesting chat on the CodeProject forum about this very thing.

The mental process behind writing poetry and code is the same.
You have to be able to abstract reality into a simple model and be able to transfer that abstraction into concrete code - ie. your natural language or a programming language.

That sums it up nicely. Thanks goes to
Rui Sousa for that one.

Normally, I have this discussion when I've had a few pints at the local, so I've wondered if it was just the brew that has me thinking like that. It's good to see some others thinking the same way.

Similarly,

Good code is like good Haiku.
It is concise, descriptive, and elegant.

Good Haiku, like good code is never contrived. It is also minimialsist without compromising its descriptive qualities

using (Haiku)
{
Writing code, like Haiku:
Elegant within confines
That limit and free.
}


Followed up with a nice Haiku from BluePineNeedles!!

I'll have to keep these points in mind for that next time when I'm challenged to a debate!

No comments:

Post a Comment